Please be advised that Sri Lanka has introduced an online visa system for all travelers. Visitors must apply for the Electronic Travel Authorization via www.eta.gov.lk, established in the Department of Immigration and Emigration. You will have to pay a small fee for this document. If you have any queries or concerns regarding attaining a Sri Lanka tourist visa, please contact your Travel Consultant.
- The cost is US$30 as a standard for all countries for processing the visa prior to arrival. For South Asian (SAARC) countries the cost will be US$15.
- For children under the age of 12 there is no charge, but they do need to have a visa.
- Those who arrive at the airport without a visa will be able to obtain a visa at the port of arrival, but this may cause long delays, as well as a visa surcharge.
Do you handle visa applications for onward travel?
Please be advised that we do not handle visa applications for onward travel to countries that request visas to be pre-arranged, such as India. Travelers routing through India are advised to obtain an Indian Visa that will allow them to transit. Please check with your ticketing company.
Who are eligible for Visa exemptions?
- Sri Lankan dual citizens.
- Children whose birth has been registered under section 5(2) of Citizenship Act - 1948 up to 21 years of age.
- Children born in Sri Lanka for Sri Lankan parents under 21 years of age.
What are the general eligibility requirements for Sri Lankan Visas?
Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration may grant or issue a visa to you if:
- Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration is satisfied that you are suitable to enter Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration approves the purpose for which you are entering Sri Lanka.
- You hold a passport valid for a minimum period of six months from the date you arrive in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration is satisfied that you have adequate funds for your maintenance whilst in Sri Lanka and for the payment of your return passage to the country which issued your passport.
- You are in possession of a written assurance (ticket) to return to the country of domicile or a visa to the next country of destination if you are a visit visa holder.
What are the general conditions of a Visit Visa?
You should not engage in any form of employment, paid or unpaid, or in any trade or business other than that specified in the visa during the period of your stay in Sri Lanka.
- Your visa must be utilized before the date of expiry noted on the visa.
- Validity of your visa is subject to entry into Sri Lanka during the indicated entry period.
- Applications for the extension of all visas should be made to the Department of Immigration and Emigration.